Wednesday, October 02, 1996

Ed, Forgetful Member Of The Press (ED! #03)

An interesting thing happened to me on the bus the other morning..

A lady got on, sat down, spotted her friend and started chatting. It wasn't exactly chatting, it was more shouting, really. A fascinating discussion about a new job this lady had got in some bakery, and how unhygenic the working practices were.

"Don't tell anyone I said this," she boomed to her friend (and everyone else on the bus), "or I'll get in trouble."

Admittedly I did miss some of the finer points of the conversation, but I managed to catch most of it, even over the Simon Mayo show which I was trying to listen to at the time on my walkman.

Being the suspicious type that I am, for some reason I just thought that the whole thing wasn't on the level. If it was really that secret why were they both shouting at each other about it? Perhaps a plan to smear the local bakery in the minds of the bus-riding public?

I see conspiracies wherever I go, I'm just too cynical.

It did actually cross my mind that it would have been rather stylish to whip a reporter's notebook out of my pocket and approach the parties pretending to be a journalist from the daily megaphone, or something.

Saying "Hello, I'm from Paramount Text" would be even more cool, but I suspect would usually result in a response like "Eh? What?"

I always thought it'd be rather cool to keep a trilby hat and a card with the word "PRESS" in big letters on it about my person for such occasions, but sadly it wouldn't fit in my pocket..

I do need to carry a notebook or something around with me though - I keep telling myself I must put one in my pocket. I think of so many things on the bus and while out and about, and just forget them again. The number of times I've thought "Must write about that in Ed!"..

I do seriously wonder if I'm losing my mind sometimes, though.. The amount of things that I just completely forget is incredible.

Perhaps it's the fast-moving high-flying media type lifestyle which I lead.. No, it won't be that. Chance would be a fine thing.

Thinking of things I've forgotten reminds me of an amusing thing which happened to me a few years ago. Perhaps I'll recite it in a future edition.. If I don't forget!

No comments: